Science Fiction Books/Searching For a Peticular Novel

I'm trying to recall a vintage science fiction novel written as early as the late 50's, though my vague memory tells me it was later.  The novel involved a hero who was, how I do not remember,  an immortal.  This condition was his secret.  He had established a secret laboratory and practiced an very advanced science.  His life was to intervene in human, mortal, affairs.

There are two SF books that contain all the details you describe. One book is called "The Weapon-Shops of Isher" and the other book, the sequel to the first book, is called "The Weapon Makers".Here are two wikipedia links:-

Science Fiction Books

I have read most of the short stories and books produced by the Top 80-100 authors in the SF field, as well as more obscure authors such as Robert Sheckley, and can answer any queries regarding author, title or theme of a science fiction short story(or novel). I can also answer questions on the history and influence of Science Fiction past to present, as well as on specific SF genres such as Cyberpunk,Golden Age SF, H G Wells-style scientific romances etc. I do not answer questions about books/stories set in the Fantasy genre.

Am currently doing a writing course for writing Science Fiction Books, with the Writer's Bureau in the UK.<

Am considering becoming an amateur writer of Science Fiction. Other than that, no academic credentials, I simply have read a multitude of SF books and stories, with an emphasis on stories from H G Wells to the 1980s.