Science Fiction Books/time travel/mind control

Question
QUESTION: Many years ago I read a fantastic series (paperback) in which the ability to travel to prehistoric earth is discovered. Unknown to those traveling back there are 'people' already there who are enslaving the travelers and keep them under control by the use of control rings which the 'masters' where around their necks. These are also used to control the local wildlife/creatures. This eventually leads to an uprising and overthrow by those enslaved. I would appreciate any help you may be able to render on locating the title or author of this series. I would really enjoy rereading this series. Thank you for your help and time.

ANSWER: Likewise, I read this one and can't remember the author or title either.  Sorry.  The only one I can remember with controlling neck rings is the dreadful series Tarnsman of Gor, which is definitely not the one you are thinking of.

QUESTION: Thank you for your time Sue. I actually think I may have found it. The author is Julian May. I believe the second book in the series is, "The Golden Torch". I'm going to check Amazon ebooks and hopefully they have it. Thanks again.

Answer
According to wikipedia

The Saga of Pliocene Exile series:

The Many-Colored Land (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1981). ISBN 0-395-30230-7.
The Golden Torc (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1982). ISBN 0-395-31261-2.
The Nonborn King (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1983). ISBN 0-395-32211-1.
The Adversary (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1984). ISBN 0-395-34410-7.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_May

He has other series also

Science Fiction Books

Sue Kayton