Science Fiction Books/What's the Title of the Book?

Question
Hi, Back in mid-1960's, when I was in the 5th or 6th grade, our then teacher once read to the entire class a sci-fi book about life in the not too distant future world which was about humans trying to survive in an "Ice Age" so to speak. What I recall is that when the surviving people in the world traveled from one colony or place to another (which was always arduous), they had to ascend and descend vertical shaft tunnels in the frozen tundra in order to leave and or enter these places. I don't recall the name of the book, or who the author was, but I'm 100% sure the author was male and that he was a well-known science fiction author at that time. Maybe Heinlein? I don't know? Does any of the above ring a bell for you? If so, what's the Title of the Book? Thanks!

Answer
Hi Mark,

It sounds like Time of the Great Freeze by Robert Silverberg.  Here is a link to that title in the ISFDB

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?14883

I have the Dell edition in my collection.  It was one of the Mayflower Books in their Laurel Leaf Library.

Bill

Science Fiction Books

Bill Denholm