Science Fiction Books/question about two stories

Sometime during the past couple of years, I read in an anthology a sci-fi story about an industrial type robot (large machine, not humanoid shaped) working on some planet (can't remember what it was doing, maybe mining?) and it ends up saving a human boy.  The robot told the story in, I believe, first person.  I liked it so much that I wrote to the author.  I have scoured the house looking for it, can't find it now in any of my anthologies and can't remember the author's name.

When I was a teenager, I read another story in a large, black volume of the best sci-fi stories of the year, whatever that year the book was - could have been anywhere from the 50s through the 60s.  In the story, a man was trapped in a fast filling tank of water and in his panic, suddenly transported out of it. There was a work for it, maybe "jaunting?"  Can't remember.  The story went on to tell the results of this new ability in the world in general, including now having to keep prisoners in total darkness underground or they would be able to jaunt out of there.  What was that story?

Thanks so much.

Read both of those.  For the first, try Isaac Asimov's short story collection I, Robot or perhaps the sequel The Rest of the Robots.  Both collections are sometimes in libraries as one combined volume The Complete Robot.

For the second story, I read it but don't remember the name.  But I can suggest, by Anne McCaffrey, her Talent series.  

To Ride Pegasus (1973) (collection of stories from 1969 and 1973) ISBN 978-0-345-33603-3
Pegasus in Flight (1990) ISBN 978-0-345-36897-3
Pegasus in Space (2000) ISBN 978-0-345-43467-8

Science Fiction Books

Sue Kayton

Engineer who has read thousands of science fiction books and short stories. Can recommend stories on specific subjects and comment on technical feasibility. Especially good at older out-of-print books and authors.