Science Fiction Books/SF book I can not identify

Question
I picked up this book in a German second hand store, it's English but I can not remember the title or author.
It's based on an alien race whose ship has crashed, the story revolves around a female who I think is some kind of mechanic, the story also has a part about the alien elders who guide and make decisions for the race but they are addicted to a drug, I think it's blue but it could be green. The drug is created and supplied by a group of scientists who used to be part of the race but they left the ship and I think somehow mutated and they can excrete this highly addictive drug. They trade it with the race for something.

I'm really sorry it's vague but I lost this book a while ago and my searches everywhere else have lead to nothing.
Hope you can help.
Thanks so much for your time.

Answer
This may be two different short stories.  I remember reading the one about the aliens who excrete an addictive drug.  Check out this list (scroll down to Literature) and see if it's on it

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/discussion.php?id=1nmeym0cipm84whvttrc8obr

Good luck finding your story.

Science Fiction Books

Sue Kayton