Science Fiction Books/Humans in alien prison

This is a short story and I can not remember author or title. Several humans find themselves in an alien prison (more like a zoo) and they want to prove to their captors that they are intelligent. They try several methods but in the end something that they did not intend works out: They capture a mouselike creature and keep it as a pet in their cage and the aliens decide that anyone who keeps a creature imprisoned must be intelligent.

The short story is "The Cage" By A Bertram Chandler:-

Books the short story appears in:-

Science Fiction Books

I have read most of the short stories and books produced by the Top 80-100 authors in the SF field, as well as more obscure authors such as Robert Sheckley, and can answer any queries regarding author, title or theme of a science fiction short story(or novel). I can also answer questions on the history and influence of Science Fiction past to present, as well as on specific SF genres such as Cyberpunk,Golden Age SF, H G Wells-style scientific romances etc. I do not answer questions about books/stories set in the Fantasy genre.

Am currently doing a writing course for writing Science Fiction Books, with the Writer's Bureau in the UK.<

Am considering becoming an amateur writer of Science Fiction. Other than that, no academic credentials, I simply have read a multitude of SF books and stories, with an emphasis on stories from H G Wells to the 1980s.