Science Fiction Books/Looking for short story - sci-fi catagory

Question
It was a short story from the 1980s or 1990s.
Post-apocalypse.  
Guy digging in ruins finds a leather coat, which he keeps.
Gets taken prisoner or chased by by some guys. He hides in the ruins and they send dog in to attack but the dog smells the leather coat which belonged to his owner and the guy and dog get away together.
That is all that I remember.

Answer
Probably not the right story, but check out A Boy and His Dog, the only SF story I can think of with a prominent dog in it.By Harlan Ellison.  It is collected in these anthologies.  The top one is the easiest to find.  

The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume Four, ed. Arthur C. Clarke, Gollancz 1981
The Beast That Shouted Love at the Heart of the World, Avon 1969, , H. Millington 1976
World’s Best Science Fiction: 1970, ed. Donald A. Wollheim & Terry Carr, DAW 1970
Nebula Award Stories 5, ed. James Blish, Garden City, NY: Doubleday 1970
As Tomorrow Becomes Today, ed. Charles W. Sullivan, Prentice-Hall 1974
Best SF From New Worlds 8, ed. Michael Moorcock, Panther 1974
They Came from Outer Space, ed. Jim Wynorski, Doubleday 1980

Science Fiction Books

Sue Kayton