Science Fiction Books/Title inquiry

Question
So Istarted reading a book several years ago that I cannot remember the title of. What I can remember is that it followed the story of a male soldier/warrior that starts in what I believe was a Roman time period. After a strange series of events he ends up in what is seminar to an alternate universe/planet and is taken prisoner by a utopian/gladiatorial society of beings that are much larger physically than normal humans and are a somewhat primative martial culture. He fights one and wins which leads him to be used as a combatant in this society's "games". He is almost like their pet but gains respect as he continues to prove his prowess. The main event I can remember is the protagonist leading a group in one of these "games" where the superior race give them a head start and essentially hunt them using all manner of tools and animals that I think we're similar to large kamodo Dragons.  That is all I can remember and any help would be appreciated. If it helps, I want to say the cover was a red themed desolate landscape with a partial face/eye shot of one of the aforementioned green kamodo Dragons.  Thank you for the help.

Answer
never read this one.  Sorry.  Sounds like one of the John Carter of Mars series.

I can recommend the Time Scout series by Robert Asprin, one of the books in the series has a gladiators-in-Rome theme.  Start with the first book Time Scout, then read the rest if you like it.

Science Fiction Books

Sue Kayton