Science for Kids/soda carbonation

Rich2871 wrote at 2013-02-11 19:51:40
I have done something similar to this in an attempt to carbonate my old flat soda. I wanted to know how much I could put back into the soda once it was flat. What I did was measured a fresh bottle of soda on a scale (to 2 decimal points in grams) My original reading of a .591mL bottle of Coka Cola was 651.01 grams. I then shook it up multiple times, opening the cap after shaking. once I thoguht the bottle was flat I weighed it again and got 647.37 grams. I let the bottle sit for a couple days, releasing the pressure as needed, (warm soda releases CO2 faster than cold soda. Cold soda will absobe more CO2 than warm soda at the same pressure. After a week I took another measurement and got 646.59 grams, for a total weight of 4.42 grams of CO2 in a 0.591Ml soda bottle. I do not beleive there would be a differance from clear to dark soda but I will give it a try with a bottle of Sprite next time.

Science for Kids

walter hintz

I can answer questions from kids in all grades in the areas of general science, biology and nature study

I have been a teacher for over 55 years and have spent many years doing hands-on science with elementary and middle school students.

The Ohio Journal of Science
Momentum: The Journal of the Catholic Educational Association

B.S Ed Kent State University
M.Sc. The Ohio State University