Science for Kids/Spacecraft Question


How is information about distant galaxies (photos, etc) transferred from the probe (telescope; spacecraft; etc) to Earth and vice versa?

Via radio.  The satellite sends a modulated radio signal to the earth, which is called the downlink.  The earth control station sends a modulated radio signal to the spacecraft with instructions, this is called the uplink.

Here's a link to Wikipedia for uplink and downlink  

Science for Kids

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Sue Kayton


I can answer almost any student science question! I especially like ones involving silkworms, spacecraft and computers.


MIT graduate. Have worked as an engineer and taught science for 28 years.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]