Science for Kids/A chemical analysis

Question
QUESTION: I did an experiment with cooper wire which is as follows:

First I took a copper wire and burnt it in excess of oxygen in a bunsen flame.

Black copper(II) oxide was formed.

Now I want to know how I could proceed with to obtain a final result of copper(II) chloride using sodium chloride.

Just for the sake of information I study in tenth grade.

Thanks,
An eager student,
AB.

ANSWER: Hi AB,

Cooper oxide will not typically reduce to copper(ll) chloride in the presents of salt due to the molecular stability of both.  Hoe ever if you use a 20% solution of HCl, you would get the reaction you are looking for.

QUESTION: Alright that's good. But there arises another confusion in my mind. Why can't there be a double decomposition reaction between copper oxide and sodium chloride?

Answer
Both are ionically stable substances.  This means that to get them to react you need to impart some kind of energy.  This may be possible by potentially electrifying the reaction through electrolysis.  This may sufficient to break the copper-oxide bond and the salt will be a free ionic in the water.  But I suspect that you will find that it will not work.  You will need something to "force" the reaction.

Science for Kids

Ralph Salier-Hellendag