QUESTION: Hi, I've written to you before about this but I'm still unsure so I'm writing again. I'm not sure how to return and what the difference between recall and return is. You know when you're talking to someone about things, you're thinking of those things while you're talking. Is return the same way? If you were to talk about something that happened, would you be returning to the incident in a way? Same if you were sitting and reflecting on something that happened, is that returning? And you're not supposed to TRY to remember, right? I'm very occluded so when I reflect on things, I know things happened but I don't really get pictures, or much information, it's very slow. Do you have to actually get new data for you to be working through the incident and moving through it, or is just thinking about it enough? I try and reflect on things from a few years ago, that aren't locks or anything, just a random incident, and I can remember a few things but that's about it, so I'm not sure if I need to be getting more data or if just reflecting on it is eventually going to lead me to new data if I stick with it long enough. Thanks a lot for your help.

ANSWER: Returning is not being in this time thinking of that time.

It is being in that time.

It is not the consideration that you are thinking about there and then.  It is the consideration that you are BEING there and then.

You are not "thinking about" the incident.  You are moving through the incident.

QUESTION: So when you're discussing an incident, that isn't returning???

Even if you're discussing it and going through it as you discuss it? Or think about it? You think about what happened here, then here, then here, and go through it. That's not returning?

I have no clue what to do then. I don't understand at all.

"I have no clue what to do then."

You don't do.  You be.  You be there and then.  That is returning.  Talking is not returning.  Thinking is not returning.

Say you went to Lincoln Elementary in your youth.  If you want to SEE Lincoln Elementary, you don't talk about it.  You don't regale your pals with stories of what an interesting time it was, all the different things that happened.  You don't sit and remember the halcyon days of 1st grade. You go there.  Mental time is like that.  You actually go and BE at that point on your time track.

You may then move through or scan the incident, say what you see, hear, smell, feel; move or scan through it again, say what you see, hear, smell, feel; etc.  But it's not the saying that is the returning.  It's not the thinkin "about" it.  It's the being there so that you can perceive what is there, so that you can THEN say what is there.

Talking about driving is not driving.  Driving is.  Thinking about the Eiffel Tower is not being there.  Being there is.  Well, returning isn't talking or thinking ABOUT the incident - it is BEING IN the incident.

A corollary might be like hypnotism.  Popularly, it's believed that, say a person glanced at a license plate on a car, but later can't remember what the letters and numbers were.  There's an idea that if you later hypnotize the person and return them to the time and place when they looked at the plate, they can read it off just as though they were there.  They actually think and feel that they are in the earlier place and time.  

Well, without being that literal, a person who "returns" to an incident is doing a similar thing.  They are thinking of themselves as being there and then - and, from that viewpoint, they can describe their surroundings as though it were present, not past.  It doesn't require that a person be hypnotized to take on the viewpoint that they are in an earlier time.

In the past, when I have audited PCs on Dianetics, if I asked a PC to return to an incident, and then asked them, "What do you see?"  They normally would have their eyes closed, and would tell me what they were seeing, not what they HAD seen.  They didn't say "It WAS a cloudy day, and cold out."  They'd say "It's kind of dark.  I'm outside, there's a lot of clouds, and I'm really cold!"  They have returned to the incident and are describing it to me.  

Laurie Hamilton

I am able to answer questions regarding Scientology practices and procedures, religious philosophy, donations, religious rites, management, administrative and staff matters.

I am a second generation Scientologist whose parents began in Dianetics in 1950 and studied directly with L. Ron Hubbard. I have been personally active in the church for nearly 50 years, have eleven years former staff experience in both technical and administrative areas, and extensive technical and administative training and counseling. I am "clear" and "OT." I come from an extended family of many religions, but my spouse and children are Scientologists, as are my siblings and their spouses, several cousins, nieces, nephews, an aunt, and an uncle. Between us we have had every good and bad experience one might go through in the church at every level.

International Association of Scientologists

Over six thousand hours of Scientology technical and administrative training. Fully qualified/certified for fourteen different organizational job descriptions. Ordained minister. Independent study of numerous religions.