Scientology/Fear and Covert Hostility and Anxiety

Question
QUESTION: What does a person who has fear need to do in order to improve? Its interesting to me that an improvement would be covert hostility for fear. What does covert hostility imply? Secretive attack? A kind of getting even it seems. Is that what would improve fear?

Cory

ANSWER: In order to improve fear, a person needs to rise in tone.

In order to rise in tone, one needs to increase theta and decrease entheta in the case.  Processing does this (all kinds of processing, down to and including the process, "take a walk.")

1.1 is above 1.0, for the simple fact that it includes a response to the fearful feeling and a defense of the person.  Granted, it's a destructive response and a harmful defense.  But it's more than nothing.  It's movement, not stasis.

Fear is, to some degree, often based on a "not know."  One is concerned that something bad may happen, but either doesn't know for sure what it is, or if they do know, they don't know how to handle it.  Hence, they are afraid of it.  If you know how to fix your car, you aren't "afraid" of it breaking down.  If you can handle an aggressive dog, you do not fear an aggressive dog.  SO - another form of processing is replacing doubt and mystery with knowledge.

QUESTION: Excellent respnse. Fear is a physiological response to danger right? Or threat? Or perhaps a broad word could be said any non survival situation. But I think those are just phrases and words that just mean all the same thing - fear.

Please tell me if that its true if an improvement of fear is a secret attack. I used to have a problem with the word combo covert hostility. Now it's fine for me. I understood it wgen I made it into an action "covertly hostile".

When is it that fear turns into anxiety? How is this an improvment? I was researching it and it seems when we fear fear itself we have anxiety. Is that true?

In the tone scale in full it shows a picture of anxiety as being a "person" who has some sort of stomach sickness. And is throwing up as a result. I'm not sure i have the reality to agree with that vomiting. To me anxiety is just a sunken stomach sensation that has an alarming response. Can you clear this up for me?

You said a person needs to rise in tone in order to improve fear. I feel good sensation wise. I can even control the body sensation to a degree. But this is the same as tone? Or body sensation is also on the tone scale. Maybe this is a tone like needing bodies? Well it seems all tones produce sensations. Are tones just body sensations?  Even anger has a flushed warm feeling in the face or other body parts.

Well now that I think about my anxiety again I notice the trigger is putting my attention on the abdomen. So is anxiety like you said sometimes a processing problem, or solely a rective mind problem? Or both?

Thanks for your time Laurie.  

Cory

ANSWER: Fear, in Scientology terms, is not a physiological response.  It is a tone level.  It turns out this tone level turns on physiological signs, typically, but in and of itself, it is just a tone level.  It is typified by the idea of an imminent threat to survival, but that idea may be founded in a real threat, or the threat may be imaginary.  The tone level of fear is bound up in the idea or likelihood that one may not survive, and the need to flee a threat.

Anxiety, on the other hand is more along the lines that things may not go well, in some usually poorly defined fashion.  It may help to think of terror as a dispersal (scattered motion), fear as a flow (directed motion), and anxiety as a ridge (opposing motions, causing stasis).  Emotional tone levels tend to be characterized by flows, ridges and dispersals.  The anger band is the same way.  Antagonism is a flow, anger is a ridge, and rage is a dispersal.

A physiological sign of anxiety is commonly an uncomfortable feeling in the pit of the stomach.  This need not be nausea, but a person who is anxious commonly will not digest well.  They won't have much of an appetite.  It's as though, by tone level, the thetan is telling the body, "Don't get too comfortable.  Reason to flee may soon arise."

Anxiety, if chronic, may be problematic for a person because their body never quiets down and functions properly.  Further, their thinking is distorted by a constant feeling of threat, but since the source of the threat is unknown, there is a resulting immobility because there's no clearly present danger to confront or to handle or to flee.

As to "improvement," the "best" tone level for any situation is the one that is appropriate to that situation.  Enthusiasm is not always an "improvement" over antagonism (in a conflict situation, for instance).  On the whole, tones below 2.0, however, are rarely useful.  It's as though from 2.0 on up, one is surviving, and from 2.0 on down, one is succumbing.  You can kind of envision 3 "bands" for body+thetan tones below 2.0.  One is the anger band, another the fear band, and the last is the apathy band.

Anger tones are typified by movement expressed in aggression, destruction, intimidation and other hostile movement.  That tends, on the whole, to survive a little better than fear.  Fear tones are typified by movement, when possible, expressed in flight, avoidance, dodging, hiding.  This is not without utility, as flight may save one from an onrushing danger.  But one cannot always be fleeing.  At some point, continual flight affords one no means of producing anything or obtaining anything necessary for longer-term survival.  One must have a chance to recuperate from the rigors of motion, and continual flight would prevent this.  Apathy tones are typified by aimless motion or no motion.

AT THE JUNCTION between the fear band and the anger band is 1.1, covert hostility.  It is more successful than continual flight, as it permits the person to hold a position and produce an effect, or acquire survival needs.  It is less successful than the anger band, ULTIMATELY, because even in the anger band, one can recruit allies and engage in joint forward motion.  1.1 necessarily cannot have real allies, as it cannot have trust.  So 1.1 alliances always fail.

Visible emotional tones in living people are called thetan-plus-body tones.  They range from 0 to 4.  This is what emotional state the THETAN is in, as capable of being reflected in the physical states, movements and expressions of the body.  The thetan, not the body, is who really has an emotional tone.  It is affected by mental mass (theta impaired or disordered by mental mass is called enturbulated theta, or "entheta"), and one raises tone by increasing theta and decreasing entheta.  This is done by auditing.  Long story short, emotion is not a bodily phenomenon, but a theta phenomenon, visible in the body.

Momentary anxiety may be a response to circumstances.  Chronic anxiety in someone other than, say a prisoner or a hostage or a civilian caught up in war, is a response to "circumstances" which are not present in real life, but only in the reactive mind.

QUESTION: Excellent response. Well I like what you wrote but it was a study on its own, hence the huge comm lag of 10 days more or less. But not to complain, but forgive me if I have more questions.

I have researched a little more and it seems that covert hostility has a few things that make it unique in communication. It seems that the communication is doubletalk or doublespeak. And they use word systems that cover up a direct way of thinking. Euphemisms are used in doublespeak. So a good way to spot a covert hostility communication would be to spot vagueness and doublespeak, true?

A few examples of doublespeak would be, "I have to use the John", instead of "I have to use the toilet". Or, "Mary and Joe were almost caught having hanky panky". Instead of, "Mary and Joe were almost caught having sex". If true, do you know any examples?

It seems that a secretive attack would not be as best as an anxiety sufferer could do. So raising to a higher tone might be more survival as you say. Antagonism is as high as I could formulate a defense right? So as someone at work is making pranks, and it gives me anxiety thinking of this prank, because of the negative connections in past, like changing my locker around to the back so i have to turn it around to the front as a joke, causes me anxiety. But I have anxiety about attack and about antagonism. So the biggest step is sometimes the smallest and doublespeak seems to "harm the attacker" even if indirectly. So I could say to the person who did this in doublespeak, "did you know kids make pranks?" without answering him why Im saying. And then he gets an implant wondering what the heck Im talking about. Well it sure is vicious. But so is his game, as I don't think I harmed him with words before. Well is it possible that doublespeak can be constructive rather than destructive and lead to a more survival condition? I don't want to ruin him mentally but get him the idea that I know he did do that to my locker. Any ideas?

About the ridge, dispersal and flows. That is very interesting. I only have one question and that is where is rage on the tone scale? Anger? Oh and is it best to match ridge with ridge in a tone scale raising? Like 1.0 with 1.5? That seems like an opposition.

I thought I should mention even if it gives me no this life survival, but what I found interesting was at the divine proportion spot of your communication you wrote, " But one cannot always be fleeing.  At some point, continual flight affords one no means of producing anything or obtaining anything necessary for longer-term survival." I found this sentence to very striking and surprising, it "hit the spot". -euphemism. Any more reality to share about that?

About the allies. Yes in my life I feel a constant enemy to others. I suppose this is related to something reactive. Ill find it. Allies are theta right?

What I do notice about myself is I find myself needing to have love. I must have like and never must I be disliked. Thinking of being disliked causes anxiety to begin or get stronger. Is there an excersize for this? I notice my thoughts run on automatic. I believe if I just start thinking into the future constantly my  mind wont bother me. Could this be true? This comes from a video i seen. A guy said, "what are we thinking about when we have anxiety? Are we thinking about beautiful beaches, sunsets and roses? No we are not." At the end of the video he tells his system. It was kind of a strategy and seems like it could work but is covering up the problem. His solution was to think in the future. Thus I ask if that works? I have tried it, and it does work slightly but seems like a drag to have to think future events all the time. But I think an OT would have the mind in the future constantly. As in prediction.

And lastly, I thought that it would be good if you could make some sentences of terror, anxiety, fear and covert hostility as to what they say to spot them. My go at it:

Terror: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! (verbal)
Anxiety: I hope Joe doesn't find out. (in mind not expressed vocally)
fear: what if I can't pass the test? (verbal)
covert hostility: maybe you should pick up your cement shoes. (verbal) But I don't think he will (in mind)

Thanks Laurie,

Cory

Answer
Euphemisms are not usually doublespeak, though they sometimes can be.  Generally, doublespeak (not an official linguistic term, but an invented term to refer to language that deliberately disguises, distorts, or reverses the meaning of words - usually to conceal evil intent).

Euphemisms are used to soften the blow of language, and can be used by the well-intended as well as the ill-intended.

You can say "he crossed over the rainbow bridge" to refer to a pet dying, and thus create a non-threatening visual for a child, which creates and image of a pet going to a nice place, rather than an image of a carcass rotting in the ground.

You can also say "We're restructuring," to mean "You're fired."  That CAN be ill intent concealed by non-threatening language.

Doublespeak will often be the province of the 1.1, as you say.  

A ridge is opposing forces causing immobility.  A flow is a flow.  A dispersal is force scattering in all directions.  Rage is a dispersal.  Anger is a ridge.  Antagonism is a flow.

An OT considers mostly present and future together.

Raising tone is best done 1/2 tone to a full tone at a time - often 1/2 tone is most workable.  This is without regard to ridges, dispersals and flows.

Actual allies are theta.  The reactive mind can present people who seemed helful when one was in the middle of an engram, and these are "allies," but it's not a given that they always have your best interests at heart.  Hence, you "need" them compulsively, which is not healthy.

One does not get an implant from wondering about something - though mystery can stick things to people.  An implant is something sort of "nailed" to the thetan by force or shock - usually repetitive in nature.

All "exercises" you can do on your own are found in Handbook for Preclears and Self-Analysis.  On the whole, Scientology does not address case matters through exercises, but through Auditing.

Anxiety does not concern an immediate threat, usually, but a POSSIBLE or worried-about threat.  So your "fear" sentence expresses anxiety, actually.  Fear concerns an immediate and currently perceived threat - such as someone or something about to do something to you.  Terror is an overwhelming threat against which one feels powerless do do anything.

Scientology

Laurie Hamilton