Scientology/Autism

Question
Hello Laurie,

Can a person with autism benefit from Scientology? I don't know that I have this disorder but was reading some of the symptoms of it and it basically summed me up. Anxious, depressed, socially isolated, difficulty with empathy, lack of concentration, really good at certain thing (music) and addicted to routines (which has led to all sorts of problems in itself).

I hate to self diagnose cause I feel like that can be very harmful but at the same time I know that if I goto a psych he's gonna say 'Yep, you're fucked up. Here take this pill'. I like to believe I'm a decent person but maybe I've just been wearing this mask for so long that I don't know who I am any more.

Answer
"Can a person with autism benefit from Scientology?"

Yes.

Asperger's is part of the autism spectrum, and its "sufferers" do fine with Scientology - in fact it has one more symptom than those you mentioned - hypersensitivity to sensory input.

But symptom packages and labels are not useful.  If you are sufficiently neurologically intact to lead a "normal" life (whatever that is) - learn to read, drive, play chess and Monopoly and poker, throw a ball, hike, climb, run, swing a hammer, you have all the capability anyone could need to benefit from Scientology.

Scientology

Laurie Hamilton