Scientology/About the mind.

Hello Laurie,

I have been thinking of asking you a few questions concerning the mind for awhile now. I am always a great fan of your answers. I am a curious researcher. I have only taken a few Scientology courses but have read many of the books, including Dianetics. My questions are intended as an inquiring philosopher, not a debunker.

Here is a few  definitions from the Webster Revised Unabridged Dictionary 1913... 100 years ago! I am shocked about how close they are in relation to the popular understanding of the terms.

"Psy*chol"o*gy (?), n. pl. Psychologies (). [Psycho- + -logy: cf. F. psychologie. See Psychical.] The science of the human soul; specifically, the systematic or scientific knowledge of the powers and functions of the human soul, so far as they are known by consciousness; a treatise on the human soul.

Psychology, the science conversant about the phenomena of the mind, or conscious subject, or self. Sir W. Hamilton."

I could find not an entry on psychiatry....interesting.

"Mind (Page: 925)

Mind (?), n. [AS. mynd, gemynd; akin to OHG. minna memory, love, G. minne love, Dan. minde mind, memory, remembrance, consent, vote, Sw. minne memory, Icel. minni, Goth. gamunds, L. mens, mentis, mind, Gr. , Skr. manas mind, man to think. , . Cf. Comment, Man, Mean, v., 3d Mental, Mignonette, Minion, Mnemonic, Money.]

1. The intellectual or rational faculty in man; the understanding; the intellect; the power that conceives, judges, or reasons; also, the entire spiritual nature; the soul; -- often in distinction from the body.

By the mind of man we understand that in him which thinks, remembers, reasons, wills. Reid.

What we mean by mind is simply that which perceives, thinks, feels, wills, and desires. Sir W. Hamilton.

Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. Rom. xiv. 5.

The mind shall banquet, though the body pine. Shak."

Anyhow, my questions are as follows:

1. LRH said in a recorded  interview that the mind is "somewhat invisible" what did he mean by that? Is there a way the mind can be physically seen? How?

2. Do you know of any valid scientific research or evidence about the existence of the mind as a separate entity from the body that has been dismissed or overlooked by the scientific community?

3. As the mind is composed of MEST... it must be able to be discovered in the physical universe as a physical object. What would be required to do to make it so?  What sort of technology would discover it?

4. What evidence currently exists of the mind as a separate entity of the body? Or is it simply a postulate?

Thank you for your time. The mind is something that really interests me and it would be great if someone could scientifically prove it so that the mind would no longer be connected with the medical field.

I have one more question....

I have found an online webster dictionary the 1913 and the 1828 and have found that looking up many words are superior to today's definitions especially in understanding the Scientology books. Do you have any ideas why this seems to be the case?

1.  This word "somewhat" is, at once, both tongue-in-cheek, and literal.  One can see one's own pictures, of course, so you can see your own mind.  However, no one else can see your mind, and so it is, to others, completely invisible.  EXCEPT, *some* people can actually see others' pictures.  So it is only "somewhat" invisible.

2.  A biologist named Rupert Sheldrake has done some work on this:

3.  It seems ordinary electronic scales, very sensitive ones, may have already done so.  When a person dies, they lose an infinitesimal amount of weight.  I suppose this would be the mind departing with the thetan.

4.  See Sheldrake, above.  There are others.

Laurie Hamilton

I am able to answer questions regarding Scientology practices and procedures, religious philosophy, donations, religious rites, management, administrative and staff matters.

I am a second generation Scientologist whose parents began in Dianetics in 1950 and studied directly with L. Ron Hubbard. I have been personally active in the church for nearly 50 years, have eleven years former staff experience in both technical and administrative areas, and extensive technical and administative training and counseling. I am "clear" and "OT." I come from an extended family of many religions, but my spouse and children are Scientologists, as are my siblings and their spouses, several cousins, nieces, nephews, an aunt, and an uncle. Between us we have had every good and bad experience one might go through in the church at every level.

International Association of Scientologists

Over six thousand hours of Scientology technical and administrative training. Fully qualified/certified for fourteen different organizational job descriptions. Ordained minister. Independent study of numerous religions.