Scientology/What is meant by the "middle class"?

I have heard this term used while being surrounded by scientologist. What is meant by this term as well as "middle class goals"?

As a strict idea, when a Scientologist says "middle class," they mean the same thing anyone else does.

As a derogatory reference, though, it refers to the idea of seeking out a certain level of material success, in keeping with popular opinion, as being the determiner of one's worth or happiness.  The same idea is commonly referred to as "keeping up with the Joneses."

As it's root, however, the Scientology objection to "middle class goals" is not that there is something wrong with aspiring to material success (among other things).  What the Scientologist is objecting to is allowing others to set your goals for you.  It is not uncommon for people who are "in" or who "aspire to" the "middle class" to pass negative judgment on anyone who does not share their ideas of what is important - and allowing one's course to be set by what OTHERS (even if they make up the majority of the people around you in daily life) see as important can be really self-destructive.

That said, it should be noted that Ron advised Scientologists to "flourish and prosper," and advised that there was no merit or nobility in self-abnegation, or self-denial.

Laurie Hamilton

I am able to answer questions regarding Scientology practices and procedures, religious philosophy, donations, religious rites, management, administrative and staff matters.

I am a second generation Scientologist whose parents began in Dianetics in 1950 and studied directly with L. Ron Hubbard. I have been personally active in the church for nearly 50 years, have eleven years former staff experience in both technical and administrative areas, and extensive technical and administative training and counseling. I am "clear" and "OT." I come from an extended family of many religions, but my spouse and children are Scientologists, as are my siblings and their spouses, several cousins, nieces, nephews, an aunt, and an uncle. Between us we have had every good and bad experience one might go through in the church at every level.

International Association of Scientologists

Over six thousand hours of Scientology technical and administrative training. Fully qualified/certified for fourteen different organizational job descriptions. Ordained minister. Independent study of numerous religions.