Scientology/Scientology

Question
QUESTION: Hello Mrs. Hamilton!
I am a student doing conducting on Scientology, would you be open to a few questions?

Thank you,   
         Rohan

ANSWER: Of course I would.  Ask away.

QUESTION: Thank you for answering!

-How would you describe the culture of the Church of Scientology?
-How did the Church change after David Miscavige began leading it?
-What do you enjoy most and least about the Church?
-What are the major differences between the main Church and the Sea Org?

Thank you!
         -Rohan

Answer

It is a culture of continuously striving to improve - to improve one's self, one's family, and the surrounding society.  It's a sort of continual awareness that nothing stays the same.  Things get better or worse, but do not stay the same.  And what an individual is about in life is bringing about improvement - and, when it seems things can't be made better with the ability, knowledge, tools one has, working to acquire the tools to permit further progress.

Very little, really.  He is more visible as the Church's chief executive or goal finder than Ron was after the mid-60's, and he has a greater seeming affinity for large-scale events, etc.  While Ron's emphasis was on research and blazing the next trail, Ron also declared Scientology finished and complete before he passed on.  So Mr. Miscavige's clear emphasis has been on finding the very best, most accurate, most complete (and most faithful to the original materials) way of doing what Ron laid out.  While Ron was intent on establishing the Church, Mr. Miscavige is intent on protecting and growing it.  He has also fully embraced modern technologies to both preserve and to promulgate Ron's works.

The things I have always enjoyed most are the sense of possibility it embodies, and the fellowship of small groups of Scientologists.

My least favorite thing (and not just with Scientology) is pageantry and huge group celebrations.  I am very keen on discovery.  Not so much on making a big production of things.

There is really only a single difference - and that is in degree of commitment.  The Sea Org member dedicates themselves fully to a life of Church-related endeavors.  The "regular" church member has a ton of other stuff going on in their lives.

Scientology

Laurie Hamilton