Scientology/Fundamentals of thought and effect and have.

Question
QUESTION: From the book "the Fundamentals of thought", Ron wrote:
"Effect and Have form a pair like Attention and Identity. An effect should be on or against something. Thus havingness. If one’s attention never meets anything he doesn’t always like it. Thus he wants objects.
Effect makes distance. Have shortens distance."

Can you exsplain this? Why do effect and have form a pair? Why does effect make distance? Why does have shorten distance? Thank you.

ANSWER: The way I look at this is to align Be-Do-Have with Start-Change-Stop.  Do=Change = create an effect (which must be done over distance, and so creates distance), and Have=Stop = reach, arrive at or close distance with something, which is, again, what he's describing earlier in the chapter as "have."

So effect creates distance because to do, to create and effect, requires distance.  Motion or doingness or effectingness cannot occur in no-space because motion cannot occur in no-space.  Therefore effect creates distance.  Have can occur in no-space.  If you can have a thing, it need not move, you need not move, and there need be no distance between you and it, so there need be no space.   To have a thing reduces the space between you and it, or reduces the distance.

So just as beingness/identity (or identification with a thing) can occur in no space, and attention requires space between you and what/whom you are paying attention to thereby requiring or creating space, so it is with doing and having.  Doing requires or creates space (distance), and having does not require or create space (distance).  

Identity vs attention is a pair (no-distance vs distance) as to theta or non-material things, and Effect vs Have is a pair (distance vs no-distance) when it comes to MEST, or material things.

I think of these, not as deep, intrinsic or basic principles, but just operational observations.

QUESTION: Okay, well that's more clear. What about this part: "An effect should be on or against something. Thus havingness."

If you make an effect how does it produce havingness? Because your reaching for something? Thank you.

Answer
Well, you can't create an effect on nothing.  You must create an effect on something.  SomeTHING presupposes some object, item or entity, and thus, something which has physical existence.  And something which EXISTS, is something which can be possessed and therefore is potential havingness.  If there is a statue, for instance, you can enjoy it.  You can "have" it.  Being a statue, it is an object.  You could create effects on it - shine it, paint it, break it, re-sculpt it into something else.  The very fact that it is someTHING you can have an EFFECT on is indicative of the fact that it can also be possessed.

Scientology

Laurie Hamilton