Scientology/Thought, Emotion and Effort

Question
I heard a lecture by L Ron Hubbard entitled "Increasing Efficiency".
Hubbard brings up the fact that a person can't just do exercise workouts and build muscle to be more efficient. He brings up thought, emotion and effort. I got what he was talking about in regards to diet and all that do not work to get a person efficient. But how does a person use thought, emotion and effort? I had no idea as to what he was talking about.

Answer
Ouch.

You're basically asking me to recap, or encapsulate, nineteen pages of the book "Advanced Procedure and Axioms" or actually, in a way, the entire book.  Do you have it?  Reading it is the only way to really fully grasp this subject.

In (extreme) brief:  There are three levels on which a human being deals with things - the level of Thought, the level of Emotion, and the level of Effort.

Thought is the most primary and basic.  Everything in people is initiated through thought.  Concept, thought, idea, is the genesis of everything.

Emotion is the easiest index, or way to observe, the state of a person's thought.  When you can't directly address the way a person thinks about, or conceptualizes things, you can access and do something about the way they "feel" about them - emotion.  If you can remedy negative or inappropriate emotion, you can then access and remedy the thought that produced the emotion.  Persuaders typically manipulate emotion, not thought.

Effort is the least spiritual, basic, or "alive" aspect of human experience, and effort is generally effort by, or effort opposing, the person.  It is the physical experience of interacting with the world.  If you can't access and remedy thought or emotion, you deal with a person's effort - what he's trying to achieve or resist/prevent.  You can actually run "effort" processes to free this up on a person and get them less stuck.

Conversely, if a person wants to achieve a thing in life, it goes through three stages:  The idea/purpose, the attitude or emotion (wanting, not wanting, must have, can't have, desiring, loving, resisting the idea), and then the effort required to bring the idea to fruition in the world.  You could think of this as:  "think it, want it, do it."

But the entire field of Thought, Emotion and Effort is so much more inclusive than what I have stated, you really want to read and understand the book.

Scientology

Laurie Hamilton