Scientology/Good or bad?

Question
QUESTION: Hey Laurie,

Being an OT and having an OT viewpoint, what is the main thing you see abberated people doing constantly? I'm sure you see them (us) doing a lot of different things but what is the main one you believe OT or not OT it would be easy for someone to refrain from doing?

To me it's the self-invalidation which became so ingrained in me that it was hard to spot and therefore difficult to fix. This difficulty still haunts me but it no longer leads me to despair. I'm able to see it for what it is and it helps me deal with it. I imagine auditing will help me get rid of it altogether.

Also, what distinguishes self-inspectiom from self-auditing? If one says to themselves "i do this a lot and i am going to stop" would that sort of self-inspection be considered positive in your opinion or not? I am trying to understand how and why it might be valuable versus destructive.

ANSWER: Things humans do:
1) Bottling up communication, failing to acknowledge, or going on and on talking when no one is listening or wants to hear.
2) Insisting that things can't be solved (or insisting on repeating solutions that never worked)
3) Continuing doing destructive or self-destructive things, even when conscious that they are destructive
4) Being unable to change or accept change.  Insisting everything remain the same
5) HAVING to be right - sometimes even to the point of manifesting physical problems or emotional break-down if found wrong or in danger of being found wrong
6) self-invalidation
7) being a body
8) relying on crutches for emotional or behavioral problems - like drugs, bad habits, toxic friends, false data
9) fixating on MEST

Self-auditing is doing objective (look at, touch, etc.) or mental (remember a time when, or imagine a...) exercises to improve mood, awareness, or self-limitations (all perfectly valid and fine);
or,
trying to evaluate why one feels something negative, is a certain negative way, or does certain unwanted things by referring to past trauma or experience, so as to self-diagnose (a very, very dangerous practice).

That's not to say there are no realizations available to a person as to the sources of unwanted situation, actions or conditions.  These sometimes spontaneously spring into view, ESPECIALLY when hearing of, reading of, or watching someone ELSE who has been or is going through something similar.  "Damn.  I did the same thing.  I'll be."  But introspecting and going looking for this stuff is hazardous and should not be attempted.  It'll lead to wrong conclusions, wrong solutions, or cave you in.

Making a decision to break a habit or improve a behavior is not self-auditing in any way. Digging around for the roots of it is self-auditing.

QUESTION: Thanks for your response Laurie.Your responses are always perceptive. I often admire your ability to understand the scope of a problem even better than the person asking it. I suppose that would be what a true question-answer situation entails. I think we are so accustomed to unsatisfactory answers in life that after a while the unsatisfactory becomes the norm and truth becomes falsehood. In particular I  would like to say thanks for helping me understand the difference between self-auditing and self-correction. I thought that self-auditing meant ANY kind of introspection. In regards to your # 1:

My mom is someone who has serious communication problems yet shuts down emotionally (this is why I say your reponses are perceptive) when confronted about it. Here is a typical scenario as-of late because it's actually gotten worse over time:

Mother: hey son have you done anything about those things you said needed to get done? I know you like to procrastinate

Son: not yet but next time you are curious please dont insult me at the same time you ask about it

Mother: thats not an insult i am your mother and i care about you

Son: care doesnt involve criticism

Mother: i dont want to argue

Then mother walks away or hangs up the phone.

The worst part of it is that she acts like she cares about everything that people say to her. She doesn't though. She pretends to care so they don't say anything mean to her. The positive to this is that I've developed an attitude of don't pretend to care unless you actually do. You once said "sanity and peace of mind are more important than feeding the emotional needs of others". I believe i have learned this truth for myself.

It's too bad life doesn't come with the warning:

"Watch out, people are crazy"

Because this kind of behavior is nuts. It does not promote self-correction of any kind but only ignorance of reality. I get that she's a wog and wogs are essentially crazy. Yet this realization or this perception is in stark contrast to the attitude that is required to get along with them and have agreement with them. I guess that is where compassion succeeds. People use the expression the apple fell far from the tree. Let me tell you something. The day this apple fell from the tree there was a hurricane of epic proportions. I get the impression you don't let your awareness of life's problems bog you down. That's mainly because you have solutions.

Hubbard said the person in an abberrated state has no idea how much gain is potentially available to them. When I listen to you I get an impression, but not a full picture, of somewhere I want to get to in life. Thanks!

ANSWER: I'm happy that you find value in my answers.  That really is the only reason I do this at all.

QUESTION: I should clarify my last sentence. I get an impression of SOMEONE who is somewhere i want to get to in life. Not the impression of a place but of your beingness. I didn't want you to think I was saying you don't paint a full picture. Quite the opposite. But you leave it up to the listener to fill in some of the details. It's like you welcome participation. That's why people love you.

Answer
Thanks.  I don't know that people "love" me, but is does seem my credibility is mostly intact, and people don't seem to be afraid to, or put off from, asking me questions.  But one hopes that should be how things work out when one genuinely wants to help.  (This is not the only place on the web where I answer questions to try to help people navigate unfamiliar subjects or obscure bits of knowledge.)

Scientology

Laurie Hamilton