Scifi Movies/Science fiction in education

I am a science teacher and I want to teach "mutation" to students via Science Fiction movies. Can you recomend me some movies in this subjects please?

There are many movies that feature mutants of some kind, but most of them are not very scientific, or specific about how mutations take place. Most movies use a fictional kind of mutant which is not very realistic. Even so, I agree that movies can be a good way to introduce students to interesting subjects.

Mutations feature quite often in superhero movies, such as "X-Men" (2000) and "X-Men: First Class" (2011), to mention two of the best.

Peter Parker also mutates when he is bitten by a genetically modified spider, which is shown well in the latest Spider-Man movie, "The Amazing Spider-Man" (2012).

We see more realistic kinds of human mutation in a movie like "Total Recall" (1990), where some people on Mars have been subjected to radioactive radiation.

Radiation also creates a great many monsters, such as "Godzilla" (1998).

We have Kevin Costner playing a mutant man with gills - the Mariner - in "Waterworld" (1995).

And there are the various versions of "The Island of Dr. Moreau", in which a mad scientist is turning animals into human-like creatures.

Then there are a number of zombie movies in which the zombies are sometimes the result of artificial mutation, such as for instance in "Resident Evil: Apocalypse" (2004).

And there are also movies in which human beings (or other species!) have mutated over time into
a different form, such as the Eloi and the Morlocks in "The Time Machine" (2002). In "The Crazies" (1973), rats have become intelligent and human-like after a nuclear war. In "Hell Comes to Frogtown" (1988), a town has been taken over by mutated frogs!

Then there are movies in which people have gained mental powers (like telepathy) due to mutation, for instance "The Fury" (1978), "Scanners" (1981) and even the recent "Dredd" (2012).

One could also mention a horror movie like "The Brood" (1979), which is about mutated children.

I hope you can use some of these suggestions.

- Tue Sorensen

Scifi Movies

Tue Sorensen

I am a life-long fan of science fiction in all forms, but especially in movies. I have a very good overview of science fiction movies from the '60s and forward, incl. the very recent. Movies in black&white (from the '50s and earlier) is my weakness, but I am trying to educate myself more and more in those movies as well. I can also answer questions about science fiction in general and in books. I'm not strong on old TV shows; my forte is definitely movies.

Besides my life-long hobby and enthusiasm for SF, I have been a leading member of a local SF fan society since 2003 (chairman from 2006-2009), and written more than a hundred SF movie reviews. I am also a contributor for various review websites (incl., but not limited to, IMDb and Amazon).

Publications (Danish)

I have studied biology, English and history, incl. a number of media courses.