Scifi Movies/sci-fi movies for teaching science
I want to teach biology, chemistry and physics to students(aged:18-19-20)by science fiction movies. Any subjects in these lessons. maybe genetics in biology, matter in chemistry, space in physics. I need science fiction movies for these lessons. For any lesson 2 movies, totaly 6 movies. You can recoment not only movies but also subjects too. Thanks a lot. (Thank you very much for your previous answer. It is very usefull.)
It's hard to find science fiction movies which are both entertaining to a modern teen audience *and* significantly educational in terms of science. It would be difficult to teach actual science through movies; it is probably best to use the movies only as a supplement to motivate the students to learn more. But I assume that is also what you will be doing.
Here are my best suggestions, which are also very good movies in general:
* Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959): This Jules Verne classic is about a geological science team traveling into the middle of the Earth.
* 2001 - A Space Odyssey (1968): This movie depicts space travel very realistically, and also speculates about the dangers of artificial intelligence (smart computers). This movie is considered one of the best science fiction movies ever made (and I agree).
* The Boys from Brazil (1978): This movie is a serious drama about cloning Hitler!
* Jurassic Park (1993): This movie is about genetic reconstruction of dinosaur DNA, including the creation of dinosaurs. It has several instructional sequences about genetics.
* Apollo 13 (1995): This movie is a very scientifically and historically accurate account of the details of space travel and technology, involving an accident on one of the lunar missions.
* Contact (1997): This movie deals realistically with a message from an alien intelligence, and also has spiritual implications and discussions. An extremely impressive movie; one of my favorites.
* Gattaca (1997): This movie is about a future where genes are thought to determine the fate of a person's life, and how the truth is probably not that simple. An extremely good story.
* Deep Impact (1998): This movie is about the very real possibility of an asteroid striking the Earth. A very well-produced movie which raises awareness about humanity's place in the greater universe.
I could also mention two fairly entertaining movies that take place in a laboratory environment: The Hollow Man (2000) and Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011).
I hope you can use these suggestions. Good luck.
- Tue Sorensen