Scifi Movies/space movie

I saw a space movie at a drive-in in the early 60's, where at the ending, the rocket ship had to leave a man and woman on the crew, behind on the planet, because of weight limitations on the ship. They were standing in front of a cave watching the ship take off back to earth.

Hi Jim,

One movie that fits your description is the Fritz Lang movie "Woman in the Moon" (a.k.a. "By Rocket to the Moon") from 1929
( which is a very good movie. It's possible it could have been a drive-in feature in the early '60s.

Another and similar movie that comes to mind is "Destination Moon" from 1950 (, although in this one no-one is left behind; they discuss it, but eventually manage to find a heavy radio to leave behind instead.

But it's possible it could be a completely different movie. If it isn't one of these two, let me know, and I will try to dig deeper.

- Tue Sorensen

Scifi Movies

Tue Sorensen

I am a life-long fan of science fiction in all forms, but especially in movies. I have a very good overview of science fiction movies from the '60s and forward, incl. the very recent. Movies in black&white (from the '50s and earlier) is my weakness, but I am trying to educate myself more and more in those movies as well. I can also answer questions about science fiction in general and in books. I'm not strong on old TV shows; my forte is definitely movies.

Besides my life-long hobby and enthusiasm for SF, I have been a leading member of a local SF fan society since 2003 (chairman from 2006-2009), and written more than a hundred SF movie reviews. I am also a contributor for various review websites (incl., but not limited to, IMDb and Amazon).

Publications (Danish)

I have studied biology, English and history, incl. a number of media courses.