Scifi Movies/I need help with a movie title.

I saw this movie in the 80's about some high school kids who find a machine under an airplane junkyard they take it to there science teacher who turns it on and I thank from there it tries to take over the world. The only other thing I can remember is that there was a cool car in it with a super charger sticking out of the hood. What is the name of this movie and were can I find it?

Nick, it took me awhile to track down this title, but the film you are looking for is the 1985 film "My Science Project." The plot basically is that teenager named Michael, who is more into cars than school, must come up with a science project quickly or fail. He and a friend break into an Air Force junkyard where they discover a strange glowing orb which absorbs electricity. They take it to their science teacher who turns it on, then is sent into another dimension. At that point the orb creates a time rift, releasing all types of creatures into the high school that Michael and his friends must battle, while also trying a way to shut off the orb (and save the world). The cool car appears to have been a GTO, a classic "muscle care" of the time.  Several DVD copies are available at various prices from You can read all about it here:  

Scifi Movies

Barbara L. Baker

I am a professor of communication at a midwest university, with expertise in film. I can answer most questions on the original "Star Wars" trilogy, and some on the newer trilogy. I also have expertise in general science-fiction film (both history and theory), especially in the United States. For movie titles, I need to have the release date (or a date range, or at least when you saw it). It is better if you note significant, major plot details and characters rather than minor plot events, and it is even better if you can recall an actor or director's name, and if it is a film or TV movie. Plesse do not just provide a set of links to someplace else (e.g. imdb discussion threads). I am less able to answer the following, although I will do my best to track down an answer for you--recent SF films, horror films, or made-for-TV movies. Most SF films from other countries are out of my areas of expertise. In addition, I cannot answer questions about animated SF films, anime/manga, television series or shows, or about film collectables. Nor will I answer obvious homework (although I will point you to resources to help answer the question, if asked). I also can't help you find movie stars, movie memorabilia, or tell you how to break into the business.

Coursework in science-fiction and fantasy films, plus teaching courses in the subject for several years; I've also conducted research into SF and fantasy films and TV.

Ph.D. in Communication, with emphasis on film and rhetoric.

A dissertation award from a national organization and various paper awards.

My students.