Scifi Movies/science fiction 50s 60s

ok I saw a film where a couple of people whent to a cave where they send a guy into the cave lake the line to him starts to pull and become irratic they pull him up remove his mask his face is heavily distorted the only thing I remember after that a crook is inside a home to rob or something and a blob type creature gets him on a staircase in front of the hole family being robbed, and in sequential scenes shows him disintegrating in stages the most horrific scene ive ever seen I'm 61 I cant find anything in lists that sound like it but I cant remember much else thx roger Hoagland

Dear Roger: This plot description best fits the Italian/Mexican horror film "Caltiki, the Immortal Monster," made in 1959 but released in the U.S. in 1960. Often shown on television in the 1960s, the film is a variation of the typical blob creature-feature that was made during that time period. It is set in Mexico as archeologists try to discover what killed off the Mayans. As several investigate some ruins in a cave with a lake, they discover the creature (as well as some treasure). They bring back part of it and then disaster occurs. It apparently is a cult horror film --commenters on the Internet Movie Base note that it was very scary to them when they saw it as children, especially how the monster disintegrated its victims. The IMDB link is here:

You also can read more about it here:

Apparently the whole film also is available via YouTube (along with many trailers), so you can see if this is indeed the film you recall (the copy, unfortunately, is not very good):

You can also find a copy on Amazon:

I hope this answers your questions and this is, indeed, the film title you are looking for!

Scifi Movies

Barbara L. Baker

I am a professor of communication at a midwest university, with expertise in film. I can answer most questions on the original "Star Wars" trilogy, and some on the newer trilogy. I also have expertise in general science-fiction film (both history and theory), especially in the United States. For movie titles, I need to have the release date (or a date range, or at least when you saw it). It is better if you note significant, major plot details and characters rather than minor plot events, and it is even better if you can recall an actor or director's name, and if it is a film or TV movie. Plesse do not just provide a set of links to someplace else (e.g. imdb discussion threads). I am less able to answer the following, although I will do my best to track down an answer for you--recent SF films, horror films, or made-for-TV movies. Most SF films from other countries are out of my areas of expertise. In addition, I cannot answer questions about animated SF films, anime/manga, television series or shows, or about film collectables. Nor will I answer obvious homework (although I will point you to resources to help answer the question, if asked). I also can't help you find movie stars, movie memorabilia, or tell you how to break into the business.

Coursework in science-fiction and fantasy films, plus teaching courses in the subject for several years; I've also conducted research into SF and fantasy films and TV.

Ph.D. in Communication, with emphasis on film and rhetoric.

A dissertation award from a national organization and various paper awards.

My students.