Scotland/Islay to Edinburgh

I have booked a family holiday in islay for last week in June and am very excited about going back after many years. My younger son however has found out that his school prom is on the Wednesday of that week and he will now need to travel back alone.he doesnt drive. We live in Newcastle but I am guessing that you will know how to get him to Edinburgh cheaply and Edinburgh to Newcastle is easy. He would need to be in Edinburgh for about 4pm  at latest to get back in time for prom. Is it doable?

Two ways to this, Alison.  

A flight to Glasgow, express bus into town and either bus or train to Edinburgh.  I would recommend train all the way back to Newcastle.  The 09:40 flight arrives at 10:20 and if the weather is clear and he has a window seat, then it is a spectacular flight!  Tickets currently cost 55 at  The longer you leave the booking, the more the plane ticket costs.  The 11:30 train from Queen Street, with 11 minutes to change in Edinburgh, arrives at 13:57 in Newcastle and costs 15.00.  The 12:30 arrives in Newcastle at 14:56 with a similar change time in Edinburgh and costs 11:25.  For some reason, the 12:00 train costs 61, so don't do that one.

Alternatively, take the 07:00 ferry to Kennacraig and the 09:25 bus leaves shortly after the ferry arrives.  Take it to Glasgow Buchanan Street Bus Station and change to the city link bus with only nine minutes to make the change, which subsequently arrives in Edinburgh at 14:04.  It is just five minutes from the bus station to Waverley Rail Station.  Probably better when you reach Glasgow, is to do the short 6 or 7 minute walk over to Queen Street and catch the 13:00 or 13:30 train via Edinburgh to Newcastle.  Both cost 11:25 and take 2:26 hours.  Change in Edinburgh.

Nicest and easiest is the plane and train.  With the cost of the airport express bus added in, 75 for the whole journey.

Hope that helps,

Willie Wallace

I live in Edinburgh and travel a lot, myself, in Scotland. I`m especially keen on the many beautiful and remote islands, whisky distilleries and golf and can help with travelling around and good places to stay. Also reknowned, locally, as an expert on Edinburgh pubs :o)

I run a tour company bringing visitors to Scotland - Whisky Tours and golf tours mainly, but general tours also. I am already listed as an Expert in the UK section.

Wrote for Fodor's Guide to Scotland. Wrote "Stray Out There" on Backpacking in Ireland and UK. Also wrote a guide on Backpacking in Australia, for Australian Tourist Commission.

Some college. Traveled and lived all over the world. You can't beat that for an education!

Two of our whisky tour clients - Hotel Waldhaus in Swizerland - Largest number of malt whiskies in the world - over 2500 (Guinness Book of Records) and Dundee Dell, possibly the largest collection of malts of any bar in the US. Regular visitors.