Scotland/Car rentals for over age 70

Question
My partner and I want to rent a car in Edinburgh in May and we read that Rental companies may not rent to one over age 70.

There are many cars available but we cannot find if they have a restriction on age.

Do you have any information on this?

Also do you know if this information applies to Ireland

Answer
You can rent cars up to age 85 through http://www.celticlegend.co.uk/car  You will need to have a letter from your doctor if you are over 70, to show that you are fit to drive and this letter needs to be less than three months old.  Most rental companies put restrictions on over 65 and stop people driving over 70.  Celtic Legend do not charge extra for older drivers.

I do not know any companies in Ireland who extend this lack of age restriction, but you might try Dan Dooley, a local company who are amenable to most things.  They have branches for all airprts and ferry ports, I believe.

Scotland

Willie Wallace