Scotland/Isle Of Skye

Question
QUESTION: We will be spending two nights on the Isle of Skye on our trip to Scotland? Where on the island would it be best to base ourselves? We have a car. And what kind of itinerary could you suggest for the 1 and a half to 2 days we will be there? Thank you

ANSWER: HI Michele.

There are lots of nice places to stay on Skye, but the most central would be Portree, the island capital.  Nice shops, nice hotels, lovely harbour and good location.  Bosville Hotel is nice.  The Isles Inn is quirky and friendly and the rooms are clean (make sure you ask for en-suite with your own bathroom) and above the traditional bar, where there is regular music.  Of course, you do not need to stay in the Inn to go and listen to the music and it is sometimes better to have a retreat where there is no live music.  Nicest hotel in town, for standard and position is probably the Cuillin Hills Hotel, I would say.

For complete and extensive information on what to see and where to go o Skye, see

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usmapindexes/westhighlands.html

Click on any of the places on the map to see pictures and descriptions.  You have tie to drive all over, so study the different options and have fun.

If I was going to do just one thing on Skye, it would be to drive on the road from roadford to Elgol.  The views are captivating all the way and when you reach Elgol he view across the sea loch to the Cuillin Mountains is breathtaking!!

I hope that helps.

Willie

QUESTION: Would it be worth doing some kind of circular route/ How long would it take and the route from Broadford to Elgol? Thank you

Answer
Yes.  Sorry, mised your follow up.

Yes again.  Up to the North from Potree and round (anti-clockwise) to Uig, then back towards Portree, but turn off South towards Dunvegan Castle and then carry on round to Carbost and Talisker distillery, then onto Broadford to take the Elgol road, though possibly better to return to Portree from Sligachan and then do the Broadford - Elgol trip either on your way to Portree on day one, or on your way off the island.

Willie

Scotland

Willie Wallace