Scotland/2013 Visit to Edinburgh, Stranraer, and Belfast

Four seniors (one originally from Belfast; one, Edinburgh; remainder US-born) will be sharing time in Edinburgh (Aug 19 through 24), Stranraer (Aug 25 through 26), Belfast (Aug 27 through Sept 1). We will not be hiring a car in Scotland.

We need your advice about the two days in Stranraer or wherever you would recommend staying near the ferry to Belfast. Part of our issue is how to get to the west coast. We've been told by the rail company that the rail and sail does not permit splitting the journey, so we'd need to buy transportation separately from Edinburgh to the west coast and the ferry from near Stranraer to Belfast.  We're trying to conserve our costs, but it appears to more than double them if we buy separate legs of our trip. Could you please answer these questions:

1.  For our last two days in Scotland, where would you recommend for some pleasant surroundings, a golf day for the men, and shopping/sightseeing for the ladies - along with easy access to the ferry?  Does this sound like Stranraer or ???

2.  What would be the best and reasonably priced means of transportation from Edinburgh to Dublin, including stopping for two days on the west coast?

You would be far better to stay in Ayr or somewhere close, where you have the opportunity of playing famous courses like Troon and Turnberry - both Open Championship courses and a host of other good links courses.  Much to do around Ayr for non golfers including Culzean Castle.  Then you can buy a combined train/ferry ticket and make the journey to Ireland all one go from Ayr.

See for much information about things to do in that area and also suggested accommodation links.

The transport would then be a single fare to Ayr, then combined train/ferry to Belfast.

Hope that helps,

Willie Wallace

Willie Wallace

I live in Edinburgh and travel a lot, myself, in Scotland. I`m especially keen on the many beautiful and remote islands, whisky distilleries and golf and can help with travelling around and good places to stay. Also reknowned, locally, as an expert on Edinburgh pubs :o)

I run a tour company bringing visitors to Scotland - Whisky Tours and golf tours mainly, but general tours also. I am already listed as an Expert in the UK section.

Wrote for Fodor's Guide to Scotland. Wrote "Stray Out There" on Backpacking in Ireland and UK. Also wrote a guide on Backpacking in Australia, for Australian Tourist Commission.

Some college. Traveled and lived all over the world. You can't beat that for an education!

Two of our whisky tour clients - Hotel Waldhaus in Swizerland - Largest number of malt whiskies in the world - over 2500 (Guinness Book of Records) and Dundee Dell, possibly the largest collection of malts of any bar in the US. Regular visitors.