Scotland/midges in Orkney in August

I have read you answer about midges, but would like to ask a supplementary. We are staying at Stromness in August, and hope to walk on the north-west coast from there. Is there any possibility that the midges will be less troublesome near the coast there?
Many thanks and regards,

The first thing to say is that you will need a good map.  A lot of that land is private, though there are no legal restrictions to walking anywhere in Scotland.  That does not mean you do not need to be polite and careful and respectful.  Be all that and you will have a great time

I can think of few places in Scotland, where the wind will be blowing nearly all the time, than that coast.  Next Stop is Newfoundland!!

It is beautiful, though quite domesticated.  Lots of prehistoric remains.  EVERYWHERE!  We tend t think if somewhere has remains, they will have been dug up.  Not on that coast - there are so many that, even if they know they are there, funding and lack of willing workers might have delayed or not allowed digs, so every mound or stone you see has a story, yet to be deciphered!

Midges like damp and overcast weather, so pray for windy and sunny. I would certainly not let the thought of midges stop me from doing what you plan and I think you will love it!

Cheers, Willie

Willie Wallace

I live in Edinburgh and travel a lot, myself, in Scotland. I`m especially keen on the many beautiful and remote islands, whisky distilleries and golf and can help with travelling around and good places to stay. Also reknowned, locally, as an expert on Edinburgh pubs :o)

I run a tour company bringing visitors to Scotland - Whisky Tours and golf tours mainly, but general tours also. I am already listed as an Expert in the UK section.

Wrote for Fodor's Guide to Scotland. Wrote "Stray Out There" on Backpacking in Ireland and UK. Also wrote a guide on Backpacking in Australia, for Australian Tourist Commission.

Some college. Traveled and lived all over the world. You can't beat that for an education!

Two of our whisky tour clients - Hotel Waldhaus in Swizerland - Largest number of malt whiskies in the world - over 2500 (Guinness Book of Records) and Dundee Dell, possibly the largest collection of malts of any bar in the US. Regular visitors.