Scottish Culture/validity of Mackenzie clan battle cry

Mary-Lynne Tennant (nee Mackenzie) wrote at 2009-12-21 08:27:14
My grandfather, William Mackenzie, came to KwaZulu-Natal from Aberdeen, Scotland, and called his home Caber Feidh. I always knew that the Mackenzie war cry was Tulach Ard.

Martina wrote at 2011-03-17 17:32:47
There is a marching battle song the MacKenzie's have used many times called caberfeidh. It was used along with the battle cry that others have mentioned above. Many celtic bands still play the song in different variations today.

P.M. McKinnie wrote at 2013-09-24 03:09:49
Tulach Ard- The High Hill or "too the High Hill" as it is roughly interpreted, was indeed the "recorded" battle cry, however- I should think not much argument could be made against "Caberfeidh" being used in a similar manner as was previously mentioned by a earlier post- essentially "for the chief" or some iteration thereof.

It is believed that in times of trouble or war, the MacKenzie's would rally or pull back to the inner spaces of their territory, comprised of easily defensible tall hills/mountains.  For example the "Five Sisters".

The MacKenzie Clan has two accepted motto's, one indeed deriving from the incident involving the stag hunt and Alexander III (Cuidich n' Righ) from the Seaforth line.  The other of course being (Luceo Non Uro).

Hope this helps in some small measure.

Tulach Ard!

Scottish Culture

Kaye McAlpine

Lifecycle (birth, marriage, death) customs in Scotland, Early Modern Scottish social customs, modern Scottish social customs, Border March laws and procedures, criminal processes and judicial execution practices, social history in Early Modern Scotland, ephemera printing in Scotland. While I have some knowledge of the clan system and function of the clan society (Highland and Lowland), I am not a an expert in clan genealogy. Having traced back my own family over a couple of centuries, and traced others due to academic research, I do know how the system works, however. This doesn't mean that I'm a genealogist. Please note that I do not speak Gaelic.

Research Fellow (University of Edinburgh). Contributer to various books and journals on ballads, including Scottish Life and Society: A Compendium of Scottish Ethnology, The Ballad and History and The Harris Repertoire. Freelance tutor in outreach courses from Edinburgh University on Scottish Culture and Tradition, including lifecycle customs, broadsheet ballads in Scotland, the traditional ballad and history. Freelance writer, guest presenter on Ch4 History Hunters programme, contributor to BBC Radio Scotland's 'Songlines' series on 'The Dowie Dens of Yarrow'. Currently co-director of a media production company

Books: Forthcoming: The Gallows and The Stake Published: Compendium of Scottish Ethnology, vol. 10, chapter on The Traditional and the Border Ballad; The Harris Repertoire (2000, Scottish Text Society, co-editor), The Ballad in History (chapter on Border ballads). Journals include Folklore, The Review of Scottish Culture,Sottish Studies, and The Scottish Literary Journal

Ph D, M. Phil, BA (hons)