Scottish Culture/Ravenscraig steel mill

Question
Is it true  that the Ravenscraig steel mill at  Motherwell was owned by Corus, an American steel  conglomerate prior to closure in 1992 ?  If not who were the owners at the time of  closure.
Thank you.

Answer
Hello Colin

I have to say, that this is not the type of cultural question I usually get - I'm usually stravaiging around the 1500s-1800s - but here goes ....

As far as I know, Ravenscraig was owned by the privatised British Steel when it was closed in 1992.

British Steel subsequently changed it name to Corus, after a conglomeration with a Dutch company. This company was subsumed by India's Tata company.

I don't think there was any overt US involvement - apart from the Scottish-American Ian Macgregor, who was chairman of British Steel during the late 1970s and early 80s. However, Bob Scholey was at the helm when Ravenscraig's closure was announced, but he had been replaced by someone else (Moffat?) by the time the plant closed. However, being a privatised company, British Steel may have had US shareholders and stakeholders. But at the time of Ravenscraig's closure, it wasn't yet called Corus.

I hope this helps.

Kaye

PS - the history of the company can be found online here - <a href=http://www.tatasteeleurope.com/file_source/StaticFiles/Corporate/History_BS.pdf">Tata Steel Information<a/>

Scottish Culture

Kaye McAlpine