Scottish Culture/Scottish symbols

Question
Our family has done lots of research over the last several years into our heritage. We've been fortunate enough to even travel to Scotland to meet distant relatives. Now my sister and I have decided to get matching tattoos. The most meaningful thing for us would be the word "piuthar" with a symbol for "sister". All of the symbols we find seem to be Celtic. We thought that was Irish. Are we mistaken? There is a lovely Celtic knot that works, but we want to be sure we aren't mixing things up. After days of frustrating research, I decided to ask an expert. I understand this is an odd request, but hope you can share some insight.
Thank you,
Crystal

Answer
Dear Crystal

The word Celtic can mean different things to different people. As a general rule it is applied to describe the art, cultures and artefacts of a number of peoples - called the Celts -  who llived between c. 750BC- around 50 AD (roughly). They traded with each other and used some similar languages, but were not of the absolutely the same ethnic background. What we know about them generally comes from Roman writers, as these people seemed to have been non-literate societies.

Identification with Celtic peoples can be found in Scotland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Wales, Cornwall / Kernow (in England) and Brittany. There are parts of the Iberian peninsula, such as Galicia, which also have associations. So while, certainly in the US 'Celtic' (should be pronounced with a hard 'c' - so Keltic) gets associated with Ireland, it is not just Irish culture and art.

.... which doesn't make your job any easier, I have to say.

What I would ask is where did your family come from - what names did and does your family carry. I ask because I get a lot on communication about people trying to locate which Highland clan they belong to, when in fact, while their name is Scottish, it is not associated with Highland culture.
For example there are Borders families which have just as much history etc as the Highland families, some people have more Norse ancestry than Gaelic ... and woven between this all is the Pictish question. The Picts in habited areas of what we now call Scotland, but their culture and identity was subsumed by Gaelic invaders - you can have a quick look-see about them  at http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/history/articles/kingdom_of_the_picts/.

Basically, while a Celtic design would therefore be pretty appropriate, there are perhaps other alternatives -
http://www.thepictishartssociety.org.uk/gallery/4576964267 -see for some Pictish stone art
It's a bit generalised, but http://www.ancientstoneart.co.uk/gallery/ categorises some image-styles

Good luck with whatever you choose - and choose a good tattoo artist!

All things good

Kaye

Scottish Culture

Kaye McAlpine