Scouting (Boy, Cub, Girl)/Troop Mileage

Question
Tom,

Our troop collect monies for campouts.  These include an estimate for food, fees, and travel.  I want to submit actual gas expenses, but I keep getting "IRS limitation" replies.

I contend that since these campouts are 100% covered by the individual scouts, and the troop is only the middleman, that the actual amounts would be appropriate.

Thanks,

Brian Hickey

Answer
It is really up to the troop on how to handle this and it can be changed at any time.

It probably makes more sense to get actual expenses but it is really hard to judge what the expenses will be prior to going on the trip.  If you plan a trip 30 days out the price of a gallon of gas could be $1.00 more a gallon when you actually make the trip.  Another big deal is hauling the troop trailer.  It is a heavy trailer and has a lot of equipment in it.  When you pull it the your gas mileage gets cut in half.

Our troop has many ways of handling gas money.  For short trips we usually do not do gas money.  For longer trips we charge each boy a set fee and he gives that fee to the driver.  So the more boys you take the more gas money you get.

Last year we made a trip from Fort Wayne, In to Buffalo NY, which involved about 80% of the trip on toll roads.  In that case we gave each driver a set number of dollars to cover all expenses.

Another way to do this would be to have all drivers fill up at one time and pay for all of the gas on the "Troop Credit Card"

Finally, another way to do this is to keep track of all of the miles that you drive and then deduct them as a contribution for federal income tax purposes.  These are legitimate deductions when you itemize your return.

Yours in Scouting
Tom Newman

Scouting (Boy, Cub, Girl)

Tom Newman