Scouting (Boy, Cub, Girl)/a problem parent

we have a problem parent in our pack that has been removed from a leadership roll but still has a son involved with our pack. the parent was asked to find a new pack but the den leader urged to keep the son involved with the pack. the parent has now made personal vendettas against other leaders and is causing a rift with in the den the son belongs to and the pack. I have talked to the district rep and was told that the son can not be removed from the pack and I agree to that" it is not his fault" but I was told that the people that are involved with the issue need to sit down and talk it out. I would love to do that but the parent has burnt way to many bridges and the people that the vendetta is about now want nothing to do with the parent. I see a cancer spreading with in the pack all read from this and would like any input on if we can ask the parent to leave and not be involved with our pack and yet keep the boy with his friends in the pack? we do have a committee and we do have bylaws but nothing like this has ever had to be dealt with.

I had a similar situation a few years ago.  We had two parents who were causing problems in the pack.  They were not leaders yet when they started to cause the problems and after talking with other leaders and pastors at the church, I refused to let them become leaders.  The decision was made to allow the boys to stay but the parents could not be leaders.  Once the adults were denied leadership positions they moved to another Pack in the area.  At that pack at least one of the adults flourished and became a den leader.  I think that this was because he was allowed to run the den under his rules and not under the Boy Scout policies.  When it came time for his boys to cross over to Boy Scouts, he decided that the troop associated with that pack would not accept him and his style and found a different troop to join.  He then told his parents and boys that everyone in his den HAD to move to the troop that he wanted to go to.  Needless to say, this caused a problem with the associated troop.    

I see that you are from Montana and I am not sure how many packs are in your area.  In our area there are 21 packs within a 10 mile radius of our location including 9 within 2.5 miles.  I am not sure if there are other alternate packs in your area, but I am not sure that it makes a difference if there are other packs to join or not, but you are right, if you allow a "cancer" to remain in an organization, it will eventually kill the organization.

My advice it to have a meeting with the other parents and decide what action you want to take, take this action up to the committee and the charter organization and get their buy in.  Then have them go to the parent and tell him the decision that every one has agreed to.  I can tell you that it will go much better if you can convince that leader to move on and make it seem like his idea but if you have to take the action as a pack, you can do that.  I would try to keep the boy without letting the parent be a leader as a first option as I agree that it is not the boy's fault, but moving the boy along is not out of the question.

One final thought, you should expect the reputation of the pack to take a hit in the long run and the adult will start lying about the pack, as more people deal with this person, they will soon realize that these are just lies.

Scouting (Boy, Cub, Girl)

Tom Newman

Just about anything to do with scouting. I have been honored to recieve both the District Award of Merit and the Silver Beaver. I have been associated with Cub Scouting for about 16 years. I served 8 years as Cubmaster and 8 years as Committee Chairman. I was Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner for 1 year and Cub Scout Pack Commissioner for 2 years. I have served 15 years with Boy Scouting. Three years as Assistant Scoutmaster and then formed my own troop as Scoutmaster 12 years ago. I am also working as an adult advisor for the Order of the Arrow, which is the elite campers of Boy Scouts. I have ran several major events for both Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, including a Pinewood Derby, a Spring Camporee, a Fall Camporee, and 2 Klondike Derbys. In the 12 years since forming our troop I have had 22 Eagle Scouts.