Scouting (Boy, Cub, Girl)/Removal of a Boy Scout

Question
Recently it has come to my attention that my sons troop has formed a separate committee to monitor the behavior of one scout. Yes there has been a couple of issues. None of which I believe have been addressed properly. No meeting with the scout and scout master, no meeting with the parents, scout, and scout master. Two questions:
1.can a troop committee make a internal committee to spy on a single scout, keeping members of this separate committees secret?
2. The scout is two Merritt badges away from reaching his a Eagle requirements, if he is kicked out before completing these badges, what will that do to his scouting future?

Answer
Hi Jonna,

It is a little hard to answer your questions without knowing the severity of the charges...

1. Can a troop committee make an internal committee to spy on a single scout, keeping members of this separate committee secret?  

While this very extra ordinary, I could see some cases where it might make sense.  If parents brought forward allegations of some very serious violation of character such as theft, sexual misconduct, or some sort of severe bullying to the committee some action would be required.  If any of these things were happening, it would normally be reported by the Scoutmaster to the committee to decide on a course of action.  If the Scoutmaster was also involved it might be necessary for the committee to investigate the situation on their own.  Suppose that the boy has been involved in a sexual situation with the Scoutmaster.  The committee might not be looking at the boy at all, but might be investigating the Scoutmaster.  If this were the case, it might be necessary to keep the members secret.  There are a whole lot of "If's" in this and it would have to be a 1 in a million case for this to make sense.  The boy has been through 5 Boards of Review.  Each of these boards was run by members of the Committees, so the Committee has had multiple chances to deny advancement to this boy if it saw fit.

2.  The scout is two merit badges away from reaching his Eagle requirements, if he is kicked out before completing these badges, what will that do to his scouting future?

This would depend on the outcome of the investigation.  In a worse case scenario if the Scoutmaster and youth were having sex, then the Scoutmaster would be kicked out but it would not affect the boy.  In any other case, he still has to set for an Eagle Board of Review and the members of that Board could reject him if he was not worthy to be an Eagle Scout.  There would have to be overwhelming evidence that his character was not sufficient quality to achieve the rank of Eagle.

As far as his future, it will either clear the boy, cause the boy to changing his way, it might involve changing to another troop or leaving scouts entirely.

Yours in Scouting

Tom Newman
scout043@aol.com  

Scouting (Boy, Cub, Girl)

Tom Newman