Scouting (Boy, Cub, Girl)/Webelos crossing over

Question
I have a group of 8 Webelos II who will be joining the Boy Scouts in less than a year.  My question is how to handle their crossing over.  A few of my boys are going to one troop (at a different location), while the other boys are going to move up with the Troop normally associated with our Pack.  This troop normally holds the crossing over ceremony but, normally all of the boys initially move into that troop.  Do we have more than one crossing over holding one with each troop that the particular boy(s) are moving into? I realize that each boy has only one ceremony, but do they all have the SAME one regardless of their Troop choice? What is the protocol for such?  I have found nothing that says how I am to handle this.

Answer
Brenda:

I am really sorry, I just received a second notice of this question and either I never received the first notice or I failed to receive it.

First let me say that the crossover is probably a function of the pack rather than the troop.  This eliminates the problem of what to do when part of the group goes to one troop and the rest go to another one.

Second. check with your Council Office.  Our Order of the Arrow performs crossovers for Cub Packs.  This year we did more than 15 crossovers.  For our ceremony we have 6 boys who are dressed as Indians.  They come in and do a ceremony that takes about 25 minutes which includes both the Arrow of Light presentation as well as the crossover.  We have crossed boys into as many as 3 troops in the same crossover.  Your OA Lodge may also provide this service if you ask.  If you want I could email a copy of our ceremony if you would like to see it.

Finally, Scouting is not (or should not be) a competition between units.  My guess is that if you talk to the Scoutmaster of the Troop normally associated with your Pack, that should they hold the ceremony, will be more than happy to include the other boys in that crossover.

I hope this helps you, if you would like further explanation or if you would like a copy of our OA Crossover please contact me at scout043@aol.com.  Again, I am sorry for the length of time which it took me to reply to your question.

Tom Newman
scout043@aol.com

Scouting (Boy, Cub, Girl)

Tom Newman