Scuba Diving/Shark Protection

Jim Bo wrote at 2014-07-03 22:17:59
I am 80 years old, been diving here in Florida waters for 55 years,  In the past 2 years they have become more visible. At Boca Grande the Tarpon come every year and so do the sharks, Normal operation. Usually they stay just out side the field of vision. While your down , stop and look out toward the field of vision you will see sharks. This year there has been more sighting in close.  Two times I was followed to the boat. This is the first time in all my diving that the sharks have come that close. A plain reef shark and a big hammer head. My shark repellent is a power head that I have never used.  In my opinion the sharks are more curious or aggressive.  Curious or aggressive I don't know which. My dive partner and I talked about this, there is a change they are coming closer. My dive partner had to kill a bull shark last January. If you dive just be aware and when they get too friendly head for the boat.

Scuba Diving

Mike Giles

I am a Master Scuba Instructor with over 6000 dives. I can answer questions on general diving techniques, diving education and diver training. I can offer suggestions on the use and selection of proper dive equipment, general maintenance of dive equipment as well as diving equipment repair. I can also offer suggestions on air conservation techniques and buoyancy control. As a dive shop owner for 19 years, I can offer suggestions on starting/running a dive business.

I have been diving for 55 years, teaching diving for 50 years and owned a diving business for 19 years. I am a certified regulator repair technician for several different brands and a certified scuba cylinder inspector.

I am currently a member of the Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI), Divers Alert Network (DAN), International Resort and Retailer Association and the Better Business Bureau

Undercurrent magazine and Divers Chapbook

I am a Master Scuba Diver Trainer with 15 distinct specialty instructor ratings, Rescue Diver Instructor, Medic-First Aid Instructor and I have degrees in Chemical Engineering, Biology and Radiologic Technology.