Scuba Diving/Dacor BCD Bladder Gasket

Question
In a previous answer you posted, you said that the gasket that helps seal the hose to the bladder was rubber. Do you know this to be correct or were you making a general statement? I need to find one or fabricate one and want to make sure it will seal properly.

Thank you.

Answer
Hi Brad.

Rubber is the material of choice for these gaskets.  It's a soft rubber and seals with only a minimum of pressure from screwing the female fitting onto the male receiving plate on the BC.  It does not need to be chemically resistant since there should not be any chemicals in contact with the BC.  Most of these gaskets are about an eighth of an inch thick.  

Cut your gasket so it fits inside the receiving plate on the BC and surrounds, but does not cover, the hole for air passage in the center of the fitting.  You may find some raised circular rings on the fitting surfaces.  These are what actually make the seal between the gasket and the mating pieces.  Inflate the BC and test for leaks to make sure you've got a good seal.  Do not glue the gasket in place...it's designed to be removable.

Dacor, as you probably know, has been out of business for almost 10 years so parts are becoming very scarce.

This should be a very easy gasket to make with any type of soft rubber or silicone flat sheeting.  
Give it a try...I think you should do fine.

Scuba Diving

Mike Giles