Sculpture/Bronco buster

Triangle brand
Triangle brand  

Hi Matt I have a question about a Fredric Remington bronco buster I came across. It has no foundry mark which I know is a bad sign. I was hoping you could look at the photos I'm going to attach I just have a feeling this is a real early casting. Thanks for your time.

Hello Micah.  It is impossible for me to say based on the pics.  There are some very high quality reproductions out there.  Some have even been made from molds taken from authentic pieces.  You best course of action would be to contact the experts at the Frederic Remington Museum in Ogdensburg NY.  They should be able help you make a determination.  

Best of luck,

Matt Ramieri

I can answer questions in reference to bronze casting (the lost wax process & copper alloys) & finishing. I can also answer questions about sculpture in general including: armature building, clay construction (plastalines and oil-based clays), fabrication, TIG arc welding (including aluminum), metal chasing and finishing, patination, and wax sculpture construction (including modeling waxes, casting waxes, and sprue waxes). I also have a limited knowledge of copyright law as it pertains to the fine art maker and his/her work. I do not claim to have any particular knowledge in the fields of bronze art antiquities and their values, or the value of work created by specific artists or their processes.

I have been working with bronze for over a decade and a half. I studied the lost wax process in college, went on to study the art abroad in Cortona Italy, and continued as an apprentice at the Johnson Atelier in Trenton, NJ. My love for the medium carried me on to take it up professionally. Now, I produce my bronze work and the work of others with my own company: "Inspired Bronze Inc".

Inspired Bronze, Fine Art America

Graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor degree of Fine Arts (BFA) from the University of Hartford Art School University of Georgia Studies Abroad Program graduate: Cortona, Italy Johnson Atelier School of Sculpture apprentice program graduate: 1st Class Apprentice

Charles Salsbury Award (artistic excellence) "Mostra" exhibit-Cortona, Italy, Orlando Museum of Art-1st Thursdays exhibit, exhibited in AIDS benefit show 97, '98, 3rd place in ArtWorks Gallery juried exhibiton 99, University of Hartford Grant recipient for four years