Sculpture/Where do I start to find information on wooden carvings?

Hi, I have a couple wooden carvings that I would like more inforamation on. Can you please help me and tell me where to start my search. One of the carvings is a woman with a baby in a papoose and the only marking I can see is a "3" on the bottom. The other carving is an oriental person with some type of swan and holding what appears to be a bottle of some sort. It has markings in an oriental language. Thanks for any direction you can give me.

Hi Connie,
you need to find a local art appraiser who can see your items in person. Be prepared, most woodcarvings can not be traced back to their carvers.
The Telephone book, google or your local art gallery should be able to help. Thanks for the question and have a good day.

maura macaluso

I AM NOT AN APPRAISER and will reject most questions of this sort.....I am am passionate woodcarver and historian, I place no weight on monetary value. I can answer most questions, regarding, wood sculpture, wood carving, carving tools and accessories and different types of woods. I am not an appraiser of carvings nor an antique dealer. Most carvings are unsigned and otherwise anonymous and most carvers were independent artists and craftsmen of whom no records were kept. It is usually not possible to tell you who carved it, where it was carved or how much it is worth.

I do full design work, custom carving, restoration, fabrication, repair and refinishing. I can take a piece of raw wood and turn it into a work of art and I can help you do the same. I am "the" carving instructor for the new york city parks dept. I am heavily involved in carving on the internet and belong to many, many mail lists which are quite active. I am also an international promoter of woodcarving and am affiliated with many master carvers, notably nora hall, originally from holland, now in the U.S. and kalina pavlova, a bulgarian master carver. I routinely communicate with the top names in professional woodcarving nationally and internationally.

the national association of woodcarvers. the woodcarvers of queens NY, the staten island woodcarvers. the northeast woodcarving association. the world wide carving internet list

chip chats-the national magazine of woodcarving. also at

Self taught artist and sculptor, 40 years of drawing and painting as a hobby, 10 years of serious woodsculpting. I have a website and have written a 300 pg book on carving. I have published online tutorials and pictorial projects.

many first place awards