Sculpture/what is it

Question
wood carving
wood carving  

wood carving
wood carving  
hello, ive recently aquired a piece of carved wood with carved art on both sides, one side is flat and the other has compartments cut in it. I have no idea what it is or where its from. any information on the piece would be greatly apprieceated.

Answer
Hi James,  this is a very interesting item....the decoration is more PyroGraphy (woodburning) than carving, most likely made with a hot wire.  The images are beautiful and look like it originates from an island culture. I believe there are pineapple plants on the compartment side. Pineapples are a symbol of household hospitality. At first glance it reminds me of a valet which is a wooden tray placed on top of a mans dresser as a catch-all for when he empties his pockets when undressing but I have issues with that explanation.  My first issue is the size, this is pretty large and my second issue is why it is so nicely decorated on both sides. Another option that comes to mind is as some type of food serving tray, such as grapes, cheese and crackers or other items.  The truth of it is that I've never seen anything quite like this. It may have been created for a specific purpose that we cant imagine. The only thing I'm pretty certain of is that it has some sort of household use.  Sorry I could not be more knowledgeable about this particular item but it is beautiful. Thanks for sharing it with me.

Sculpture

maura macaluso