Sculpture/Remington Sculptures

Question
QUESTION: I have three Remington sculptures. I know they are not original.Each one has inscribed on it Copyrighted by Frederic Remington On the back there is a number stamped 40/100 on one
65/100 on one, and 35/100 on one. They are very heavy and on a marble base that are three colors. Green ,Black and White or grayish. Each base has a gold marker with the name of the sculpture.There are no foundry markings that I can identify.Are there some marking or clues that you could recommend that would help me know where they may have been made ? Thank you. Milt F

ANSWER: Hello Milton.  Unfortunately there are no universal measures to make such determinations.  There have been myriad makers of reproduction Remingtons, so it would be impossible to speculate.  Your best bet would be to consider where it was purchased and send images to local foundries.   

QUESTION: Matt -
Why do foundries not mark their reproductions with their names. It would seem they would be proud of their work. 35cty
Thank you. Milt Fronsoe

Answer
Hello again, Milt.  There are a variety of reasons why a foundry might not mark their work.  A foundry might have an arrangement with a reseller not to mark it so that business doesn't go directly to the foundry and circumvent the reseller.  Another might not mark the work because it is being produced for a private individual such as the artist who created the original artwork, and that individual may not want the mark to obscure their claim to the work.  Also, some less reputable foundries might not mark their work so that the pieces can be passed off as original  

Sculpture

Matt Ramieri