Sculpture/Young Dame Bust

Dame Bust
Dame Bust  
I purchased this bust at an auction about 15 years ago.  Can you tell me more about her?  Who is she and where did she come from?  I cannot find any manufacturing labels or initials on the piece.  I can't tell if she is resin or bronze, however the base is hard ceramic.  Her face and shoulders feel like bronze or metal, but the hair feels like it could be resin. I want to find out more since it is one of my favorite pieces.  I would like to know more about this character and if who this replica may be of.  Also if you can tell me what she is made of.  I can't seem to find her on the internet to see what she may be worth.  Please help!  Any information you have is much appreciated so I can research more.  I have attached a photo.  I have more photos if needed."

Hello Tanya.  It is impossible to say for sure without having the piece in hand, but I would bet that it is a resin casting, or some similar material.  It could also be some kind of gypsum casting such as plaster or hydro stone.  I say this because the surface treatment is unmistakably paint.  It is not a chemical patina like what would be found with bronze.  I would think that the piece is either a reproduction, or originally designed as faux bronze.  There is nothing wrong with that, of course... it is very nice regardless. I cannot, unfortunately provide any information as the the history of the piece.  My expertise really revolves around the technical aspects of bronze sculpture, not any kind of historical knowledge.  

Good luck,

Matt Ramieri

I can answer questions in reference to bronze casting (the lost wax process & copper alloys) & finishing. I can also answer questions about sculpture in general including: armature building, clay construction (plastalines and oil-based clays), fabrication, TIG arc welding (including aluminum), metal chasing and finishing, patination, and wax sculpture construction (including modeling waxes, casting waxes, and sprue waxes). I also have a limited knowledge of copyright law as it pertains to the fine art maker and his/her work. I do not claim to have any particular knowledge in the fields of bronze art antiquities and their values, or the value of work created by specific artists or their processes.

I have been working with bronze for over a decade and a half. I studied the lost wax process in college, went on to study the art abroad in Cortona Italy, and continued as an apprentice at the Johnson Atelier in Trenton, NJ. My love for the medium carried me on to take it up professionally. Now, I produce my bronze work and the work of others with my own company: "Inspired Bronze Inc".

Inspired Bronze, Fine Art America

Graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor degree of Fine Arts (BFA) from the University of Hartford Art School University of Georgia Studies Abroad Program graduate: Cortona, Italy Johnson Atelier School of Sculpture apprentice program graduate: 1st Class Apprentice

Charles Salsbury Award (artistic excellence) "Mostra" exhibit-Cortona, Italy, Orlando Museum of Art-1st Thursdays exhibit, exhibited in AIDS benefit show 97, '98, 3rd place in ArtWorks Gallery juried exhibiton 99, University of Hartford Grant recipient for four years