Sculpture/Removing layers of paint from bronze busts

Question
Hi Matt,

I inherited a pair of bronze busts that are antiques. My husband's parents discovered them in the attic of an old house they were renovating more than 50 years ago - and they were obviously old even then.

At some point in time, someone decided they would look better white, and so they painted them with what appears to be a gloss enamel. As time went on and the paint chipped, they simply added more layers of paint.

Now, I would like to restore them, but I am concerned about damaging the surface of the metal. I haven't been able to find these same sculptures anywhere, but I have seen similar ones priced anywhere from several hundred to several thousand dollars, and I do not want to do anything to lessen the possible value.

What can you recommend to help me with this?

Thanks for you help!

Kay

Answer
Hello Kay.  You may be able to strip the paint using a solvent.  It will be very hard to get the paint out of all of the recesses, but solvent will not damage the bronze.  You can even soak the pieces in a solvent and use a tooth brush or nylon brush to scrub the paint out of the recessive.  Any more aggressive means such as bead-blasting or the like would be best left to a professional, as it would require a re-patina of the bronze.  Also, bead blasting/ sand blasting can easily be made to be too aggressive.

best of luck,

Matt

Sculpture

Matt Ramieri