Sculpture/African wood carving

Hi Maura,
I am trying to research the origin, age, and use of this African (?) wood carving and hope perhaps you can help. I also wonder if the top is made out of sword fish parts?? It has some red trade beads (?)  incorporated.  Was it a ceremonial piece?  A spear of some sort? Fertility charm???? I'll be happy to send more photos.
Thank you very much for your help.
Best wishes Stefanie

Hi Stefanie, replying to let you know I received your question.....yes please send me more pictures...close up of the top where you might think swordfish.....pic of the the rope original to the piece? also please give me all the details as to how you came about possessing this piece and any stories associated with it.  Thank you

maura macaluso

I AM NOT AN APPRAISER and will reject most questions of this sort.....I am am passionate woodcarver and historian, I place no weight on monetary value. I can answer most questions, regarding, wood sculpture, wood carving, carving tools and accessories and different types of woods. I am not an appraiser of carvings nor an antique dealer. Most carvings are unsigned and otherwise anonymous and most carvers were independent artists and craftsmen of whom no records were kept. It is usually not possible to tell you who carved it, where it was carved or how much it is worth.

I do full design work, custom carving, restoration, fabrication, repair and refinishing. I can take a piece of raw wood and turn it into a work of art and I can help you do the same. I am "the" carving instructor for the new york city parks dept. I am heavily involved in carving on the internet and belong to many, many mail lists which are quite active. I am also an international promoter of woodcarving and am affiliated with many master carvers, notably nora hall, originally from holland, now in the U.S. and kalina pavlova, a bulgarian master carver. I routinely communicate with the top names in professional woodcarving nationally and internationally.

the national association of woodcarvers. the woodcarvers of queens NY, the staten island woodcarvers. the northeast woodcarving association. the world wide carving internet list

chip chats-the national magazine of woodcarving. also at

Self taught artist and sculptor, 40 years of drawing and painting as a hobby, 10 years of serious woodsculpting. I have a website and have written a 300 pg book on carving. I have published online tutorials and pictorial projects.

many first place awards