Sculpture/African wood carving

Stefanie wrote at 2013-04-17 15:45:31
Thanks, Maura. I just got an answer back from the National Museum of Africa Art. They think the piece is not African at all, but maybe from the Philippines or Pacific Islands.

Best wishes Stefanie

maura macaluso

I AM NOT AN APPRAISER and will reject most questions of this sort.....I am am passionate woodcarver and historian, I place no weight on monetary value. I can answer most questions, regarding, wood sculpture, wood carving, carving tools and accessories and different types of woods. I am not an appraiser of carvings nor an antique dealer. Most carvings are unsigned and otherwise anonymous and most carvers were independent artists and craftsmen of whom no records were kept. It is usually not possible to tell you who carved it, where it was carved or how much it is worth.

I do full design work, custom carving, restoration, fabrication, repair and refinishing. I can take a piece of raw wood and turn it into a work of art and I can help you do the same. I am "the" carving instructor for the new york city parks dept. I am heavily involved in carving on the internet and belong to many, many mail lists which are quite active. I am also an international promoter of woodcarving and am affiliated with many master carvers, notably nora hall, originally from holland, now in the U.S. and kalina pavlova, a bulgarian master carver. I routinely communicate with the top names in professional woodcarving nationally and internationally.

the national association of woodcarvers. the woodcarvers of queens NY, the staten island woodcarvers. the northeast woodcarving association. the world wide carving internet list

chip chats-the national magazine of woodcarving. also at

Self taught artist and sculptor, 40 years of drawing and painting as a hobby, 10 years of serious woodsculpting. I have a website and have written a 300 pg book on carving. I have published online tutorials and pictorial projects.

many first place awards