Sculpture/Chris Curtis - Granite fountain Sculpture

Question
Chris Curtis
Chris Curtis  
Hi Matt,

I am not sure if I uploaded the picture before,

but I am just looking your opinion on the value of fountain made by Chris Curtis artist from Vermont

is been sold to me for $500 and I just would like to know if it is a fare price, the fountaion is signed by the artist.

Thanks

Hernan

Answer
You hadn't attached the pic the first time, but either way it is hard to say, Hernan.  $500 is not a lot of money for a hand made granite sculpture, but a sculpture is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  If the artist's work is established and well recognize, then there may be a relatively consistant market value associated with it.  Short of that, it's really just a matter of how you feel about the work vs. how you feel about your money.  When considering artwork, a good rule of thumb is to consider how many hours it would have taken to create, and how much you think the artist's work is worth per hour.  Commercial work like illustration is often priced this way.  

Sculpture

Matt Ramieri