Sculpture/Remington Bronze

A friend has a (copy?) of the famous bronze figure "Bronco Buster" by Remington.  He acquired it years ago at an estate sale from an
affluent home on Palm Beach.  He knows that there are many copies of Remington's works and especially this one in particular - HOWEVER he
thinks the markings look very good and is especially concerned with the "#3" marking shown in photo number 2 which is under the base.  I am hoping you might know something about the meaning of the #3 or can tell me if there is a #3 that is not accounted for in a known collection.  Or, if you can tell for sure that this is a fake.  The other markings are : Henry Bonnard Bronze Founders N.Y N.Y
1895. Thank you so much for your time and attention!"

Hello Debbie.

Very Interesting stuff... I can tell you that original Remingtons were numbered in such a way... a single number under the base as opposed to a number expressed over another number (3/50) on the top side of the base like most replicas.  However, that alone does not constitute an original.  The Henry Bonner Bronze Founders mark might be a real tip-off, because the The first foundry with which Remington worked was the Henry-Bonnard Bronze Company in New York.  Still, that is common knowledge so the mark could have been faked.  Many non-original Remingons are not out-right fakes, though... they are "replicas" which are lawfully produced because copyright has run out on Remington's work.  They are often marked with their legitimate foundry mark.   Supposedly,  the locations of nearly all of Remington's originals are known, so you should check in with an authority to learn more.  The Frederic Remington Art Museum should be able to sort it out for you.  I would be quite interested to hear what they have to say, as this is really the first inquiry I've received that sounded like it could be an original.  

Frederic Remington Art Museum

303 Washington Street
Ogdensburg, New York 13669
Phone: 315-393-2425
Fax: 315-393-4464

Matt Ramieri

I can answer questions in reference to bronze casting (the lost wax process & copper alloys) & finishing. I can also answer questions about sculpture in general including: armature building, clay construction (plastalines and oil-based clays), fabrication, TIG arc welding (including aluminum), metal chasing and finishing, patination, and wax sculpture construction (including modeling waxes, casting waxes, and sprue waxes). I also have a limited knowledge of copyright law as it pertains to the fine art maker and his/her work. I do not claim to have any particular knowledge in the fields of bronze art antiquities and their values, or the value of work created by specific artists or their processes.

I have been working with bronze for over a decade and a half. I studied the lost wax process in college, went on to study the art abroad in Cortona Italy, and continued as an apprentice at the Johnson Atelier in Trenton, NJ. My love for the medium carried me on to take it up professionally. Now, I produce my bronze work and the work of others with my own company: "Inspired Bronze Inc".

Inspired Bronze, Fine Art America

Graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor degree of Fine Arts (BFA) from the University of Hartford Art School University of Georgia Studies Abroad Program graduate: Cortona, Italy Johnson Atelier School of Sculpture apprentice program graduate: 1st Class Apprentice

Charles Salsbury Award (artistic excellence) "Mostra" exhibit-Cortona, Italy, Orlando Museum of Art-1st Thursdays exhibit, exhibited in AIDS benefit show 97, '98, 3rd place in ArtWorks Gallery juried exhibiton 99, University of Hartford Grant recipient for four years