Sculpture/Oberammergau wood carvings

Question
woodcutter carving
woodcutter carving  

woodcutter carving
woodcutter carving  
My Aunt has two carvings (see attached) she purchased in Oberammergau, Bavaria(Germany)  The frame of one in particular is very dried out.  We have no idea of the type of wood in the carving or framing around it.  She wants to know how to clean both pieces and what to do about the dried wood.  Beeswax, polish, stain,etc.?  We haven't done anything and want to wait for an expert's opinion.  Thank you for any help you can give us.

Answer
Hi Laurie....the typical wood used in Bavaria is lindenwood but the grain lines lead me to believe it might be a golden oak.  It is very difficult to identify wood by a photo.  I suggest you visit a good carpenter in your area for a definitive answer.  As for cleaning and restoring.  Boiled linseed oil will bring The frame back to life. You don't boil it, that's the product name. Wipe on a light layer and then wipe it off using a soft cloth.  Cleaning is more involved.  It is usually advised not to clean a vintage or antique carving however if it is covered with dirt, smoke, grease and grime a little light cleaning can be accomplished with out destroying the original finish.  First dust then using a soft toothbrush and a very diluted solution of water and liquid dish detergent , brush gently. Be sure to absorb any excess water. After this light cleaning, you should apply either some beeswax or uncolored paraffin and then buff it out with a soft clean cotton cloth.  Be sure not to leave excess wax in the corners and crevices. All of these products should be available at your local hardware store.  
If a more thorough cleaning is desired, please allow an expert to do the work.  This is a beautiful carving. Thank you for sharing and for the interesting question.  Have a good day.

Sculpture

maura macaluso